Need help?

  • If you’re unsure about whether or how to provide feedback, make a complaint, or just want more information on your rights as a customer, then there are a number of ways you can get this.
  • You can contact your housing worker and discuss the situation – our staff are here to help you.
  • You can ask to speak with a Manager or email us at
  • Or you can contact an independent tenancy service for free advice
  • Illawarra & South Coast Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service 1800 807 225
  • Murra Mia Aboriginal Tenants Advice Service 02 44729363